Monday, March 30, 2009

Past, Present, Future

Note: This is the hopefully equal, probably not better second draft of a blog that I thought was going to be published about five minutes ago. I will say nothing more than: Curse you, NAU Central Authentication Service.

Back to the good stuff.

I was reading through an old journal of mine the other day- you know, the kind that I was all gung-ho about when I first got it, and then preceded to fill up about a tenth of the pages with my thoughts until I kicked the habit. I came across one particular poem while I was taking a walk down memory lane, and, I must say, it presented me with much more to think about than just the nostalgic feeling i was expecting. The poem went like this-

I want to be more,
Not just two hands on a clock,
Ticking relentlessly,
Waiting for shock.
More,
I refuse to live betting on races
Whose winners have
Unrecognizable faces.

I'll work for the change,
I'll sweat for the difference,
I'll make people see past
their ignorant inference.

Apathy's a pandemic
that will not infect me.
I'm determined to be everything
that I can be.

And I don't expect the whole world to believe it,
But More's always there, you just have to retrieve it.

---

The "More" that I was so passionately referring to was, in a nutshell, talent. I wanted to prove to everyone around me that I was good enough, and that in fact I would end up being something probably better and more successful than they were.

Geez.

How can it be that something that was so deeply a part of me a couple of years ago can resonate just as fully now, when I feel like a completely different person?

I think it's because while reading I redefined a key word in that piece. I took "more" from it's previous meaning, self-progress and self-glory, and turned it seeking more for myself so that I can be more for others, and ultimately more for God.

The big difference, though, is that a couple of years ago "more" was concrete. It was a stationary goal that I would reach and remain at. Now "more" is so...liquid. It's something that I can't get a decent grip on and it's so frustrating and so beautiful at the same time.

So I still identify with what I wrote a while back, except for the last couple of lines. I decided to rewrite them to more accurately reflect how I view the rest of the piece.

And I'll give myself for the world to recieve it,
For More's always there, you just need to believe it.

---

I wonder how I'll read this poem a few years from now..

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy reading this blog. Keep it coming please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. read philippians 2:5-11 and ask the question: does Jesus want more or could it be less? this is one of the most important scriptures regarding jesus in the bible. GREAT job Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. jess,

    i love your revision of the poem...but as you allude too, God is actually in the process of rewriting YOU! Moving you from a place of self-glory to self-giving. WONDERFUL! I do hope you keep writing poetry and searching for how the ultimate MORE, will always be giving you more as well as prompting you to give more of your time, heart, creativity and spirit for the sake of the world.

    Jess...I think you will be writing an opening prose very soon! what a gift you are!

    peace to you my dear!

    ReplyDelete